Most do not want to visit the Provincial Offence courthouse in Guelph, but those who do admire the classical architecture and overall character of the building. Its tin ceilings, ornate cornices, archways, and windows bring out the beauty of the building’s original features.
Built in 1856 when Guelph actually became a town, it was designed by the same architect who designed the St Lawrence Hall in Toronto. It opened in 1857 and had a tower bell that rung daily at 7 am, noon, and 6pm. It also rung during fires, funerals, and special events.
Aside from housing the Town’s council chambers and offices, both the fire department and police department shared their offices there, as well as police cells. It even included butcher’s stalls in the market on the west side of the building.
There were some additions in 1875 and the building was also used for banquets and concerts. The tower was removed in 1961 and between 2006 and 2010 the building was rehabilitated and renovated.
The building was then designated as an Ontario Heritage building and the new plaque was installed. In 2010, the Guelph’s Provincial Offences Court began operating out of the building.
